Saturday 21 March 2015

Eclipse

Today's eclipse was a bit of a non-event for us, as it was so overcast here. Lots of other parts of the UK had a great view, but we were just unlucky.

So I thought I would post a photo of the last solar eclipse in August 1999. For me it was very memorable, as the eclipse was on the day of my son's due date. I tried to persuade hubby if our baby was born on the actual day of the eclipse we should name him something like Moonbeam, or Sunny, or even Eclipse. Luckily for him he was two weeks early!


This is my husband holding our son and looking at the eclipse through a pinhole camera. I know this is probably a bit of a health and safety nightmare, and not to be recommended. Just for once I have a good excuse for the lighting in my photograph. It had a really strange quality.

Did you get a good view of yesterday's eclipse, or another one? I would love to hear your eclipse experiences.

10 comments:

  1. What a memorable day that was for you and your husband!

    readerbuzz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great photo! Your husband looks like the father of a newborn...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! I remember doing all the eclipse stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The most memorable solar eclipse from my past took place decades ago. I was at work, and everyone gathered at the office building's windows to witness the event. We used the same sort of pinhole method that your husband is using in your photo. What I remember most is the way the colors of the whole world dimmed. Quite dramatic.
    By the way, I imagine your son thanks you often for not naming him Moonbeam, Sunny, or Eclipse!
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! No viewing here... it was clowdy and snowing .... UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I few of my UK friends have posted some great pics of this eclipse - the light is very eerie in their photos as well.

    I've never seen a total eclipse of the sun in Australia - I'm not sure if there has been one in my lifetime (partial's yes, but total, no...although we've had lots of lunar eclipses).

    ReplyDelete
  7. We couldn't see any of the eclipse, but oh well! I always wondered what people meant by pinhole camera!

    ReplyDelete
  8. bet your son was grateful he was born early ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, yes, those are memorable events...and I completely forgot about this one! LOL Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete