Friday 4 October 2013

Christmas Hearts and A Winner




Getting ready for Christmas fairs, I have been making some decorations from my own Christmas Heart pattern. I decided to go a bit less traditional, and used my lovely sparkly blue wool, which you may have seen before on this blog.
 

This simple pattern is in my ravelry and Craftsy shops for free, and has instructions for three different sizes of ornament. 

I love embroidering snowflakes on the hearts with wool, but you could let your imagination go wild. There are some embroidery tips in my righthand sidebar. You could also add buttons or beads.  

But my top tip for making tree decorations is to always make the loop twice as long as you think. There is nothing more frustrating than struggling to hang your decoration because you have sewn on a tiny loop.


A few of these decorations are for sale in my Etsy Shop. There are two types of snowflake, but can't quite decide how to distinguish them by name. Spikey and Knotty?

Unusual Uses for Knitting Needles
 
Announcing the winner in my Unusual Uses Competition. After a bit of debate my children decided that the most amusing use was from Mari of MariReads who said:

"Let's see, my 2 year old finds lots of crazy uses for my needles...drumsticks, cat torture device. The hubby has used one for detangling the brush on our Roomba. Yuck."

So a spiral shell is hopefully mid-Atlantic on its way to her!



Thank you do everyone who left a comment. We enjoyed reading them all.

19 comments:

  1. The snowflake hearts are so pretty, thanks for sharing them.
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What sweet little hearts xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo, sparkly hearts, me likey! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the little sparkly hearts and the embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hearts are very cheerful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely little hearts - I love the blue and white colour scheme - very wintry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say your shell looks most convincing and I had to do a double take. Have you tried selling the pattern to a craft mag?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now those hearts do look really Christmasy - how do you spell Christmassy not on spell checker lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your snowflake hearts are very pretty. The knitting needle uses are 'interesting'. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love the sparkly blue with the white embroidery, they're so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful hearts, the sparkly blue wool is really pretty and something a bit different.

    What a lucky lady to be getting one of your beautiful shells - congratulations Mari!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely hearts, the sparkly wool works so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the sparkly blue wool hearts- just the right background for your snowflakes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think your snowflake hearts will look great on a Christmas tree, especially with the sparkly wool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the blue and white look really pretty, especially as they sparkle. Great suggestion re the length of the ornament hangers. Oh always annoys me when they are short. Have a lovely week.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely Christmas hearts. You idea of decorating them in any way you like (the beads is my favourite) is great. Personalising makes is part of the excitement of crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love anything glitterfied and your hearts are so pretty with the sparkle.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely ornaments that one could certainly use for Hanukkah as well! thanks so much for sharing on craft schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete