Wednesday 25 July 2012

"Oh I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside"


My recent family trip to the seaside, closely followed by a school trip to the Sea Life Centre in Brighton, put in mind that I should branch out a little from the insects and try my hand at some sea creatures, or maybe I should say beach creatures.

The knitting patterns for these sea creatures are available on Ravelry

I have a special offer running on Ravelry, where you can buy any two of my seaside patterns, including my popular spiral shell, and get a £1 discount. I also have a few of my seaside sets for sale for non-knitters in my Etsy Shop.



I have a few more sea creatures in the pipeline, which I am still working on.

I have tried to photograph them below so that you have to look quite hard I hope to see which are knitted and which are real. 


I have been working on the patterns for a while, and am pleased with the way they have turned out. The scallop shell can be knitted as one half, or as two and sewn together and stuffed. I thought it might be nice to make into a lavendar bag. 

Hubby suggested fashioning two shells into a bikini, but soon told him what to do with that idea. Scallops seem to come in a huge variety of colours and patterns, as you can see from the black shell that we found on a beach in Cornwall. So anyone who knits one could really let their imagination go wild.


This version of the starfish has a bit of embroidery, but this is optional. As usual I have tried to go for realism. I have put a page on my blog on how to sew a french knot, as I love using this stitch. I seem to use it a lot, and people think it is difficult, so hope I have shown how simple it is.


This is the underside, which my son says is where a starfish's mouth is?


I have a few more sea creatures in the pipeline, which I am still working on.

57 comments:

  1. how fabulous! they're so realistic!
    super work!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your starfish! They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! gorgeous and so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH wow! They really are amazing! they do look so real!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh, they're incredible! you're right I can hardly tell which are real and which aren't!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After just spending a week at the beach, I can say that your creations look as good, if not better, than the real thing creatures I saw!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ginny, your sea critters are fabulous!! Love the striped shell. Thanks for sharing on Ravelry : -)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow they are amazing! what a special talent you have :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! I thought these were real, you are an amazing designer!
    Take care
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are fabulous! Incredibly realistic. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Be.Still.My.Heart.
    Those are A-freakin'-MAZING!!!! Love just how realistic they look. Fantastic work

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ginny lovely to 'meet' you, thanks for visiting my blog!
    Wow I love your sea creatures, they are fantastic and your little insects are brilliant too, very clever. :)
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, they make me think of my days at University!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are spectacular! What a fun addition they would be to the children's nature table.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so very good. They'd look amazing as decoration in a beach hut :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I first saw them I thought they were real ones. Those are awesome

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute sea creatures!! They looked so real!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those look amazing. So lifelike

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are so stunning! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These sea creatures are sooo cute!! I especially like the star fish with the little pearls.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the scallops! These are fabulous, I'll have to try my hand at some sea creatures soon. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. They are awesome. I like the starfish especially. When we were in California last year we had the opportunity to feed the starfish, so that indent in the centre of the bottom - that's the mouth. There are some cool YouTube videos showing them eating :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, these are great! They will be wonderful reminders of a great time at the beach :).

    ReplyDelete
  24. How fun!!!! love them and they definitely look like they came off the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  25. oooh, I can hear the ocean calling me.

    Those are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW, Ginx! These are really beautiful. Just very, very good. Hear! Hear!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! They look great! I love the yellow starfish. The white polka dots are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are awesome - very realistic!

    ReplyDelete
  29. They are brilliant, what a splendid idea, never seen knitted shells before. I had to look twice!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow - they are amazing. I also think the french knot is amazing (very versatile) and possibly my favourite stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  32. How realistic are these? I would imagine a tremendous amount of work went into them. Well worth it though, they are a credit to you. Fantastic! Love your husband's comment, that's just the sort of thing mine would have said!!!! It made him roar when I read it out to him :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I had to look twice to see which were real or not. I think they are really lovely. A fantastic job. Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Amazing work! I've adapted a starfish pattern in the past to make star keyrings and found them very fiddly to make, Your creations are very life like

    ReplyDelete
  35. wow i looooooooooove these! the striped shell is my fav but all look amazing :) x

    ReplyDelete
  36. These look wonderful, what a great design!

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a fantastic design, they look amazing. Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Fantastic! I love the starfish :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow, fabulous. Really difficult to tell which are real and which aren't! What a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  40. They are fab :) very effective x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Fab idea. They look sooooo good. Who would have thought knitting could look so realistic!

    ReplyDelete
  42. These are awesome! As a former biology teacher, these really appeal! So creative! WOW

    ReplyDelete
  43. These are fantastic - what a neat way to capture and create inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  44. Those are amazing! Are you going to publish the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The patterns are already published on Ravelry. You can link there through the pictures in the left sidebar.

      Delete
  45. These are so lovely - I especially love the starfish

    ReplyDelete
  46. Absolutely fantastic! how clever and unique! never seen a knitted sea creatures like these!
    the starfish and the shells beat everything.
    they are the best creations in the whole Hand-Made Monday episode this week!
    well done!

    ReplyDelete